The year 1578 marked the foundation of the town of Lucban. During that year, two Spanish priests named Juan de Plasencia and Diego de Iropesa commenced the propagation of Christianity in the municipality converting 1,600 inhabitants into Christians.
Legend has it that the town derived its name from Lucban (pomelo tree). Three hunters from Majayjay, Laguna namely: Marcos Tigla, Luis Gumba and Lucas Nañawa came upon a plain at the northeast foot of Mt. Banahaw after they lost their way following the trail of some wild animals. While resting under a tree, they saw a black bird name "uwak" (crow) up in the tree top. Believing this to be a bad omen, they immediately transferred to another place and rested once more. This time, under a shade of the leafy pomelo tree or Lucban tree, the trio were attracted by a couple of "salaksak" (kingfishers) singing at the top of the tree. Fascinated by the rhythmic chirps of the multi-colored birds, the three hunters took the incident as a sign of good fortune, and decided finally to settle in the place naming it LUCBAN.
The people of Lucban accepted the story as true. Marcos Tigla was the first gobernadorcillo of the town in the year 1596. Lucas Nañawa later took over the responsibility for four years.
Apolinario dela Cruz (1815-1841), a national hero who is more popularly known as HERMANO PULE and founder of the Cofradia de San Jose was born in Sitio Pandak, Barangay Nalunao, this municipality.